Monday, June 3, 2013

Look how far our nation has come.





I don't have any wonderful anecdotes to share, nor do I have a particular family in mind for why I am blogging. I know so many loving LGBT families, it would be hard to choose. However, I wanted to lend my support to the 8th annual "It's Blogging for LGBT Families Day." 




I luckily grew up knowing and loving people from all walks of life. As a child, I didn't learn to put labels on people, or look for differences in them.  My parents sponsored Allied officers from other countries including Japan and Cambodia; so we were able to learn so much about other cultures. My mom's twin brother was gay and in a long term relationship from as early as I can remember, so I never learned anything other than we all love who we love. Perhaps that is why unorthodox families were not a big deal to me. I didn't realize until I was out on my own how different the world viewed things.  

I have three daughters who have grown up in a whole different world. This world is made up of young, vocal, tolerant children. That's fantastic. Yes, I know there is still way too much hatred and prejudice around us, but we really have come so far in a relatively short time.  It's hard to believe it was only in 1973 that the American Psychiatric Association removed homosexuality from their list of mental illnesses.  

I found a wonderful timeline of the gay rights movement.  I look forward to seeing how far we'll come as a nation in the next thirty years.  

No comments:

Post a Comment